Sunday, January 5, 2014

How I Got To Sing With "Coach" Bamboo



A cover collaboration that almost didn't happen. Almost 2 years in the making to get this guy to record with me but just like they say, good things come to those who wait, and yup, it was worth it. 

It's weird hearing people calling him "coach" but I know I have to get used to it seeing that the second season of The Voice Philippines is fast  approaching. I simply call him Bambs though, sometimes Rock Maestro....kidding hehehe.

Photo taken during the finals of The Voice Philippines

I've known Bamboo since he got back from the States when he had that hiatus from the whole music thing. I worked with him in a photo shoot, I think that was the very first one he did since he got back. Then when Bamboo the band was formed, I've been seeing more of him since we'd work on gigs, photo shoots, you know, the entire media hustle that goes on in working for a publication. The friendship happened and grew between him, Ira, Vic, Nathan, and Pancho which was always the best part after all the chaos in working with each other. I won't go through the band break up / heartache/ "he said, he said" story about the band because that's none of our business, really.

So OK, just like how I asked Ely to do this Cover Collab project with me, I also sent Bamboo a tweet. And here's his reply:

Ang saya, di ba? Why would he indeed say no? Uhhhmmm because he's an extremely busy guy and that I can truly attest hahaha! You see, ever since he went solo the magnitude of projects that this dude has been doing are just a lot...A LOT. There's The Voice, ASAP, his Globe endorsement/activities, his shows both local and out of the country tours, see, that is why when finally, after almost a year and a half of him agreeing to sing with me, it was definitely worth the wait! I have to give it to Pancho, his manager and my friend, he had to put up with all my bugging, pagtatampo, and emotional breakdowns. Bambs and I threw song suggestions at each other, there were a few that he mentioned that I didn't know and there were a few that I mentioned that he agreed on but eventually we changed our minds. When we saw each other in one of his gigs, it was in Nuvali, we had a conversation again regarding the Cover Collab and which songs we're going to cover, he suggested Much Has Been Said, guys, if you don't know this song...well, here it is. 


I took this video back in 2008...ahhhh the good ol' days.

That gig in Nuvali. I just had a tattoo done on my right arm and when he saw the wrap,
he panicked a bit, he though I got into an accident or something.
Dude, I love you but I won't be in your gig should that have been the case hehehe.

That song is one of my favorite songs ever and for him to suggest that we do it made me really happy, it would be a dream come true singing it with him. If blood compact was still a customary thing to do, I'd ask him to do it when he said "Tara! Let's do that. I wrote it and it's one of my favorites." So finally, the day of the recording, Pancho told me to be at 8th Note Studios because they will have their last rehearsal for the Christmas show in Music Museum. 








So here's what we came up with for our Cover Collab. We decided to cover Ed Sheeran's A-Team and of course, Much Has Been Said. I have to thank my friend Bamboo for doing this with me, for agreeing to sing with your crazy, dorky, bully of a friend hahaha! I love you! Sang with Bamboo MaƱalac....virtual bucket list... check! 

                                      



Enjoy, guys! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment