Friday, March 6, 2015

Why You Have to Watch Norte: Hangganan ng Kasaysayan


Let me begin by saying that I'm no movie critic, so this is just me explaining why Lav Diaz's Norte: Hangganan ng Kasaysayan is one of the best movies that I've seen recently. 


This was the first time that I've watched a Lav Diaz movie. I am well aware though that his movies are long but Norte, a four hour movie about crime, disillusionment, human perseverance, and compassion, would probably one of his shortest films. This had a limited release here in the Philippines last year but before that, the movie has been premiered in Cannes two years ago. Anyway, I was not sure what I'd expect from the movie since it never occurred to me to research about the plot. I just saw a cut-to-cut, no audio trailer online, and the thing that stuck to me most was a bear like (yes, he was huge and scruffy) Sid Lucero walking with blood all over his shirt, face, and body. Interesting. 


           This was also the first time that I watched Timmy (Sid) in a full length film and my God he's good! As I watched him portray Fabian, I try to picture other local actors who would be able to spew them lengthy, brainy, and "I don't want to be part of this annoying conversation about how fucked up our country is and its jurisdiction" pow wow lines believably and naturally like they do it all the time, but none came to mind. None! He was so brilliant with how he interacted in all those discussions in the movie that next time I see him, I'd be mortified if he starts talking about the destruction of myth of ordinance, post modernism, and 21st century politics, I might have to fake a seizure or something just to get away from it. He was so believable in the movie that when it came to that point where he snapped, it scared the shit out me. His acting was gripping in Norte. 


            If Timmy's character had the most lines in the movie, Angeli Bayani's had the least but she gave such a powerful performance in Norte that she really didn't need to talk to express her character's love for her family, her frustration of being poor, and her longing to have a better life, she left most of the acting through her eyes. Her eyes were very expressive, they were mostly sorrowful in the entire movie. You would feel for her and you would feel bad that you couldn't do anything to help her. At one point, while she was unloading vegetables that she's going to sell using her kariton, a goat came into the picture and I remember saying "Uy o! Yung kambing" out loud like I was trying to warn her because that's the least that I could do to help her, but then yeah, it's a movie, right, right. 


       Angeli's character is married to the character portrayed by Archie Alemania, who got incarcerated for a crime that he did not commit. There are jail scenes in the movie and I'm not really a huge fan of those. I'm used to seeing Archie being the funny guy since he would normally take in comedic roles but he showed a different side of him in Norte, he was placid, scared, and more human than anything. He was a compassionate, almost saint-like, inmate. He took care of everyone in his cell even the mean, torturous boss WakWak. That's why when a certain devastating event happened that would definitely change his life, there was nothing left to do but to shake your head and sigh. This guy couldn't get a break!  


            Watching this movie almost made my chest cave in because of certain ironies that happened to the characters, and it made me literally grip on my bag due to some very suspenseful sequences. There were also a few jaw dropping instances because of certain twists which made me realize how taken I was with this movie. I know I'm so late in the game since Norte has been getting the accolades that it truly deserve but for those of you who haven't watched it yet, borrow four hours from your busy schedule and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment