Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Drinks with Gabby Alipe

   

A Jack and Coke nightcap with Urbandub’s GABBY ALIPE.


Just recently, musician and Cebuano GABBY ALIPE ended a 15-year relationship with some of his now former bandmates. Urbandub, one of my favorite local bands, decided to go their different paths and start living their new lives without the comfort of each other as a band. It’s both sad and exciting as a friend on what’s going to happen next. With Gabby, it’s just a question of when we’ll hear his singing voice again with new lyrics to spew. The thing about Gabby is that he's always been a humble guy, wants the peace over squabble, and that his passion is music, so let’s just keep both our eyes and ears open to what’s in store. 
           
I met up with him at Moksha, a place that I haven’t been for probably a decade, for dinner and a few glasses of Jack and Coke, his favorite drink. He was with his lovely girlfriend Erika, who is the mother of his kid, Jacob. After our catching up, I began asking him questions for this interview. Read on to find out what tattoo he won’t have on his body, his dream boyband line-up, and why he doesn’t get hangovers.

HOW DID WE MEET?

Gabby’s version
I think we met late 2003 or early 2004, at the PULP Magazine office. First cover shoot ng Urbandub. I met you and Joey Dizon. We shot sa roof deck ng building nyo.

My version
He is absolutely correct! Galing, Gabby. I met the entire band in probably one of their earlier trips in Manila as Urbandub. Their drummer was still Atty. Jerros Dolino at that time, and they just released their album Influence. We shot them at the roof deck of Antel Global in Ortigas, where the PULP office was at that time. I remember asking them to sign my Influence album and I think I still have it at home. I’ve known Gabby for more than 10 years. Wow. Tanda na natin, bai! Ha ha ha!

Oh, look at them baggy pants

The inconsolable me when I got the news about Urbandub. He looked really happy that I was a wreck. 
What a friend.

WHAT’S YOUR BEST CURE FOR HANGOVERS?
G: I don’t get hangovers that much kasi the technique is to drink water while you’re drinking alcohol. Hangovers are caused by you being dehydrated, so let’s say I’ll have a shot of double Jack, sasabayan ko yan ng dalawang basong tubig.

D: Pero let’s say nagkahangover ka…

G: You drink again. Drink a bottle of beer, and then keep drinking water. Ha ha!

WHAT TATTOO WILL YOU NEVER HAVE IN YOUR BODY?
G: Girlfriend’s name. I heard from tattoo artists na malas yun to put your significant other’s name.

D: Girlfriend? E pano kung wife?

G: Hindi parin.

D: Kids?

G: Portrait of your wife and kids, pwede. Wag lang pangalan.

D: So, what tattoo would still want done on you?

G: One tattoo that I really want to get is a family portrait inspired of me, Erika, and Jacob na mga wolves. I want a wolf pack tattoo. Ako, black na wolf, si Erika puti, tapos si Jacob gray, pero may dimple. Ha ha! I’ll probably get that soon kapag hindi na masyadong busy.

WHAT’S THE BEST PART OF BEING A FATHER?
G: The best part of being a father is everything. I never thought that I’d be into it, especially when I found out that Erika was pregnant, I got scared. But I’m more focused now and instead of thinking about yourself, you’re actually responsible for somebody else. It’s gives you focus, and a purpose.

D: Would you allow him to be a musician?

G: If that’s what he wants. By the time that he wants to be a musician, maybe our music scene has changed, our industry has changed. If he wants to do it as a hobby, I guess that’s fine.

D: Is he already showing signs of interest?

G: Whenever I play the guitar, he likes listening to it. He likes listening to music. But he also likes watching mga science shows, and anything related to space. And he also likes watching garbage trucks, so yung running joke sa amin is either he’s going to be an astronaut or basurero. Ha ha! I think both Erika and I agree that whatever Jacob wants to be when he grows up, we’ll support him. And it’s better to encourage him sa hilig nya rather than didiktahan mo sha because he’s not going to be happy.



WHICH FOUR LOCAL MUSICIANS WOULD YOU WANT TO BE IN A BOYBAND WITH?
G: Si Franco (Reyes), kasi parang sha yung older statesman. Ha ha! Si Akit (Po) ng Powerspoonz. Okay na kaming tatlo na lang, para parang LFO, tapos yung pangalan naming Bisaya Espesyal. Ha ha!

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY PRAY FOR?
G: I pray for a lot of stuff, but good health is the main thing that I pray for talaga because if you’re not healthy, you can’t work, and I just want to work and provide for my family.



WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE MOST ABOUT BEING YOU?
G: Probably being open to the public, I’m easily criticized and judged without people even actually knowing who I really am. Parang kung ano yung agad na nakikita nila, parang they make up their minds na yun ka kaagad. And then they would say hurtful stuff, mga bagay that they’re unmerited to say since they already have this preconceived notion of who you are. But normally, I don’t really pay much attention to it but at the end of the day, sometimes what they say is really hurtful din e. Other than that, I’m just chill and happy.

COMPLETE THE SENTENCE: YOU SHOULDN’T SYMPATHIZE ON 
PEOPLE WHO….
G: …complain about where they are in life, but they don’t actually put in the work to take them out from that situation. Reklamo lang ng reklamo but you’re not actually doing anything other than blaming everybody else with whatever misfortune that you have without even really putting in the work. Before you complain, put in the work first, even if you fail, it just means that you just have to try harder.

HOW DO YOU DISTRESS?
G: I hangout with Erika and Jacob kasi hindi naman ako lumalabas e. I don’t really hangout in bars, and drink as often as I used to, and I don’t do drugs. I’m chiller now. Kahit simpleng grocery lang with Jacob and Erika, masaya na ako nun e, kasi yun lang yung trip ko, just to be with my family. Domesticated na ako, hindi na rock n’ roll lifestyle which is a good thing. Ha ha! 



WHY IS DOUBLE JACK WITH COKE YOUR FAVORITE DRINK?
G: Swabe e. It’s relaxing. I don’t get hangovers much from it. It’s easy to down. Even on its own, just Jack, hiyang sa akin yung whiskey, as compared to scotch or any other drink. Clear drinks like vodka or gin, ang bilis ko mamula. I like tequila but if I were to choose between it and Jack, Jack parin.

Follow Gabby on Instagram and Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment