Saturday, August 29, 2015

Drinks with Glaiza de Castro


A much needed catching up over coffee with prolific actress and musician 
GLAIZA DE CASTRO

It’s rare nowadays in the local entertainment industry to see limitless talent in one person, but then there’s GLAIZA DE CASTRO. She’s one talented cookie but very nonchalant about it, which I really like. The girl has been an actress ever since I’ve heard her name, and then I eventually discovered that she’s a singer songwriter too. One of my favorite movies would be Quark Henares’ Rakenrol in which she’s part of, along with Ketchup Eusebio (whom admittedly I’m a fan of), Jason Abalos, Alwyn Uytingco, and Diether Ocampo, playing probably the best role that he has portrayed ever. In the movie, you can see the sincerity that is Glaiza, the music lover. Every time she would blurt out a particular musician, it’s like you would know that in real life, she does listen to their music. Maybe it’s just me who noticed this? Or maybe she’s that good of an actress? I don’t know. But what I do know is, she is really talented.
            Having been able to release an album this year called Synthesis, as well as starring in the recently concluded GMA TV series The Rich Man’s Daughter, Glaiza’s life had been very hectic. She is currently preparing for her concert called Dreams Never End at the Music Museum this October 3. Overwhelmed with TRMD’s success and the outpouring support of people who fell in-love with the role that she played; a role that’s rare in her forte but obviously she did very well, she’s just taking every stride steadily and with caution. In the short period of time that I’ve known Glaiza, I can already confirm that she’ll always be grounded amidst her increasing popularity; she has that aura in her, a very sincere vibe.
            After a few rescheduled dates for this interview, finally, it pushed through. We met at this very cute restaurant along Libis called Uke Box Caffe. I arrived a bit late due to traffic that’s why it was good that she was with friends, including movie director Dante Garcia. We updated each other on what’s been happening in our lives, her dealing with the hangover of her series and me, well, my mundane life. Read on as Glaiza talks about her passion, and favorite amusement park ride over a cup of strong, black, hot coffee.  


HOW DID WE MEET?
Glaiza’s version
Nagmeet tayo una virtually e. Right? Mas nauna yung mga tweets natin tsaka yung mga palitan natin ng mga comments sa Instagram. And then we met sa studio ni Xander, I think that was his birthday.

My version
Tumpak! Spot on. Nothing to add much really because that’s exactly what happened. I was at our friend, photographer Xander Angeles’ studio because he invited me to a small get together because it was his birthday. Glaiza arrived a bit late but we were both happy that finally we’ve met.


During the gig held after the Rakenrol premier

at The Janitor premier with movie director Mike Tuviera and my then heavier self


WHAT IS YOUR PET PEEVE?
G: Yung demanding. Siguro dahil sa personality ko, ayoko talaga ng iniinstruct ako lalo na kung alam ko yung ginagawa ko, or if I know myself, I know na hindi ko sha talaga gagawin, pwera na lang kung trabaho, shempre ibang bagay yun e. But when it comes to decision-makings or parang pinapangunahan ako sa mga ibang bagay, parang “oo, wait lang! Teka lang!” Iba kasi yung demand sa nagaadvice. Alam ko sa sarili ko kapag demand, meron akong feeling of “hay, nako” may ganun. Bukod sa demanding, ayoko rin ng self-righteous at self-centered, basta yung “ako, ako, ako” lagi. Yung parang kapag nagusap kayo kailangan tama sha lagi.



WHAT’S THE WORST THING THAT’S EVER BEEN SAID ABOUT YOU?
G: Lately kasi since hindi ako masyadong masalita, hindi kasi ako articulate about expressing myself, hindi ako masyadong magaling dun, namimisinterpret ako na snob, na cold. As much as you want to defend yourself, nagsusubmit ka na lang dun sa fact na alam mo kung sino ka, alam mo na wala kang ginagawa na ikasasakit ng ibang tao. Dahil nga siguro na hindi ako magaling sa salita, may tendency na mamisinterpret yung mga actions ko, or yung mga decisions ko like I’m very particular when it comes to my passion, shempre sa music, di ba? When I talk about music, hindi ko naman sha naeelaborate na eto yung ginagawa ko, may tendency yung mga tao to think something else, yung ganun? Parang feeling ko minsan iniisip nila na mataas yung ego ko dahil “umaartist artist” di mo talaga maiiwasan e lalo na mainstream actress ako. Maraming expectations na lahat kailangan kong gawin, lahat kailangan kong pakisamahan, although sa lahat naman ng industry at sa lahat ng ginagawa natin kailangan yun but there are times na feeling mo, you just want to be yourself.

D: I’d rather be that kaysa maging plastic ako.

G: Yun lang din ang common misconceptions sa aming mga TV actors, they think na kung ano yung nakikita nila sa TV, yun ka talaga. Like before The Rich Man’s Daughter, akala nila talagang mean ako kasi inaaway ko si Marian (Rivera) sa soap, nananampal ako ng kung sino sino, talagang kontrabida. And then sa TRMD, which I played a lipstick lesbian, na talagang strong, confident, and driven, I wish ganun din yung characteristics ko sa totoong buhay, and they looked up to that character, and some people think that the role I portrayed is what I really am in real life. The real Glaiza is a geek. Ha ha!  



WHAT THREE THINGS YOU LIKE DOING AT YOUR FREE TIME?
G: Nakatulala lang. Ha ha!

D: Steady is literally tulala.

G: Oo! Steady! Eto yung first time after months of working that I could actually sit down, and do nothing and wait until I have to prepare for my work. Gusto ko rin manuod.

D: Nang ano?

G: Nang kahit ano? TV series, etc. whatever na para madistract lang yung mind ko sa mga ibang bagay. In a way, educating myself narin sa mga okay na movies kasi before yun talaga yung trip ko e. Dati kahit yung mga films na hindi ko naiintindihan pinapanuod ko kasi I had the time. So yun, yun yung usually ginagawa ko, nanunuod ako, nagsesearch ako for music or nagrerecord ako, at tumulala. Ha ha!

D: Di man lang tulog talaga? Do you still get enough sleep?

G: Lately, wala mashado. Kahit na nakakauwi ako ng maaga sa bahay, parang di parin ako makatulog ng maaga. Pwera na lang talaga kapag sobrang pagod na pagod ako, magpapamasahe ako tapos derechong tulog. 



What do you pray for everyday?
G: I pray for guidance. We’re given freedom to do what we want, especially now that I’m overwhelmed with all the blessings na dumarating because I prayed for this, I prayed for the direction of the album kung bakit ko sha ginagawa before kasi it started out as a hobby na nagrerecord lang ako sa bahay tapos biglang may mga tao akong nameemeet along the way who would encourage me to take it to the next level, so in a way parang di sha nawawala. Nung nagkaroon ako ng realization na gusto ko shang gawin ng seryoso, sabi ko “Lord, tulungan mo ako. Bigyan mo ako ng guidance at ipakilala mo ako sa mga tamang tao para magawa ko sha ng legit.” So natupad lahat ngayon, at natutuwa ako sa response ng mga tao sa album, isa sha sa mga fulfilling na mga blessings. Given these blessings, anung susunod kong gagawin? Anung next step ko? Shempre may responsibility in every success or blessing na kailangan kong panghawakan at may discipline din ako na kailangan i-embibe na kailangan ko panindigan. Kasi di sha biro birong task e, to represent HIM sa audience, sa mga taong nakikinig or sa mga taong nanunuod. Parang ang hirap magkamali, pero di mo naman sha maiiwasan. Yung direction lang na “Lord, saan mo ako gusting dalhin dito sa mga bagay na’to?” It’s more than what I’ve expected gaya ng music na’to, yung position ko sa industry, sabi ko nga hindi ako sanay sa dami ng adoration at sa support na nakukuha ko ngayon. Grabe talaga! I feel so overwhelmed both in a good and bad way pero tanggap ko din naman yun as an actor. Kasama yun, e so kailangan mo talaga ng guidance on how to deal with them, how to deal with people na feeling mo naeexploit ka or feeling mo natetaken for granted ka.



WHAT SONG DO YOU WISH YOU COULD HAVE WRITTEN?
G: Happy Birthday. Ha ha!

D: Nakakainis ka!

G: Ang hirap kaya ng Happy Birthday, tsaka timeless yun no! Hanggang ngayon kumikita parin yun. 

WHAT SECRET TALENT DO YOU HAVE?
G: Wala na ata akong secret talent, lahat linabas ko na. Ha ha! Or ewan, siguro di lang ako aware pero parang wala talaga akong secret talent. Ay teka, naaabot ko yung ulo ko ng paa ko.

D: O sige. Talent na yun.  

G: Oo nga. Pwede na yun! Bahala na. Ha ha!

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RIDE IN AN AMUSEMENT PARK?
G: Ferris wheel. Steady lang kasi yun e tsaka mataas parin sha, nakikita mo lahat. May illusion na in a way kahit steady ka lang, lumilipad ka parin.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE TIME IN A DAY AND WHAT DO YOU USUALLY DO DURING THAT TIME?
G: Gabi talaga e, sa gabi ako nagfufunction. Di ako natutulog e. Kapag sa work, kapag 12 midnight onwards medyo drained ka na, pero kung nasa bahay lang ako, yun yung time na dun na ako nakakabuo ng kanta, dun ako nagrerecord kahit na magstart ako ng mga 8pm tapos matapos ako the next day, fulfilled ako nun.  Yung pinakafavorite kong part yung tipong yung buong gabi ka nagtatrabaho tapos nakikita mo na sumisilip yung liwanag. Tapos pagsilip ng liwanag at tapos ka na, pinapakinggan mo na lang yung rinecord mo. Kahit demo lang, maglalay-in ako ng guitar, lay-in ako ng boses, tapos boses ulit, yung tipong makabuo ka lang ng song. Tapos may mga random moments na tugtog lang ako ng guitara, namiss ko lang e. Makakabuo ako ng kanta or kung hindi man ako makabuo ng kanta, tutugtugin ko lang yung mga paborito kong songs. Sarap na sarap ka lang talaga tumugtog at kumanta.

WHY IS HOT, BLACK COFFEE YOUR FAVORITE DRINK?
G: Ang strong kasi nya e, talagang instant energy. Sa amoy pa lang nya, nagigising na ako. Sarap talaga. Maganda sha pang tanggal ng toxins, sa akin kasi it’s either this or tea pero sa coffee kasi mas nagigising ako. Mas nagfufunction ako kapag nakapagkape ako, ang daming ideas bigla, dumadaldal nanaman ako.


Follow Glaiza on Instagram and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Hello Denise.. Thank you for this interview. I am a new fan of Glaiza because of TRMD. And this helped me to know her much more. We love her so much and will support all her projects. For keeps na to lablab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and yes, please keep on supporting Glaiza because she's a wonderful, God loving, and grateful person :)

      Delete
    2. Nice. The writeup seems to be verbatim, it appears that i can see and hear you two talk. Happy happy lang. What I get from this - Glaiza is a music-lover, spiritual, geek and the tulala-thing. 😊

      I've never heard of Uke Box Caffe , I might as well search for it because I live nearby.

      Delete
    3. Hi. All my Drinks with Denise interviews are like that. I want it as candid and as unedited as possible. I would always tell them about this before I would do the interview and I'm happy that they would still be as honest as they are to me like in a normal conversation. Of course I would cut down a few things since I don't want the interviews to be long and I also make sure to ask questions that aren't normally asked by the press, since I am one myself :).

      Uke Box Caffe is cute. They sell and allow people to rent ukuleles there. They have a good selection of cakes too :)

      Delete
    4. Oh em gee, Uke Box Caffe is just outside Eastwood! Perfect. Have I known that u guys were there, i would be an avid observant while sipping my capuccino, fan-girling thing. ☺

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this interview its nice to know what she does off cam. As far as who she is as a person I knew she is everything what she said about her that's why I like her. She speaks the truth she doesnt bite showbiz intrigues just to get popular its just all about work. She stand up to her convictions in a good way she is a brilliant actress singer dancer I didnt know is a rocker too until synthesis came out. Glaiza I wish you more blessings continue to inspire others with everything that you do you are a beautiful person in and out. You derserves everything good that is happening in your career in God perfect time. More blessing to you too Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinubukan kong hawakan ng paa ko ung ulo ko. Di ko kaya. �� Hahaha!! Thanks for this interview. Hope there's a part 2...tapos 3...then 4.... ����������

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sinubukan kong hawakan ng paa ko ung ulo ko. Di ko kaya. �� Hahaha!! Thanks for this interview. Hope there's a part 2...tapos 3...then 4.... ����������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha :) Thank you. There might be a music collaboration coming up but that will happen really soon pa since she's very busy. Anyway, good luck sa pagabot ng paa mo sa ulo mo, sana wag kang masaktan :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Po! Thank you so much for this update. This article/Interview really helps people to understand and know Gliaza better. I myself really believe her. She is the only actress I adore most bec of her talents. Sila ni Rhian. Not to the fact na sila ang love team ngayon ( Hindi joke lang πŸ˜€ ) but these guys makes me feel motivated talaga.. Sila yung mga actress na minamahal sila ng mga tao tapos binabalik nila ang pagmamahal na narecieved nila at they never treat us as a FANS. Thank you guys so much. Hindi nyo man ito mapapansin peru supporta ko sa inyo parang till death do us part 😊 Love you guys 😍😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice interview! napaka chill & real �� thank u for this! ��

    ReplyDelete