Thursday, June 30, 2016

Drinks with Rovilson Fernandez



A pungent cocktail, cheesy pizza, and hours of catching up make a good night 
with TV host Rovilson Fernandez



He’s probably one of the most hard-working TV and event hosts in the country, and one of the most reliable and entertaining too. Rovilson Fernandez is this witty, huge (huge talaga?!), pleasing on the eyes English speaking all around good guy that you will see every Sunday at GMA News TV hosting the show Ang Pinaka, which is a program featuring a Top 10 list of anything and everything. Roro, as I call him, is also the Philippine ambassador for the World Wildlife Fund together with his best friend, equally talented and good-looking Marc Nelson. The boys also hosted the first Asia’sGot Talent that aired at AXN and competed at The Amazing Race Asia Season 2. He has been traveling all over the country and the world for work but looking at him, he’s been enjoying every bit of it. 

            We met up at Rocket Room, a dim-lit, stylish bar at BGC. It was pouring but the coziness of the place warms you up, it also helped that I was ready with my boots and jacket.  He arrived, all smiles as usual, and we ordered his favorite drink right away. It was a drink called Rocket Fuel, the name alone scared me and more when I found out what’s in it and that would be silver Tequila, a concoction called Liquid Fire, which is Vodka infused by Jalapeno and pepper, Cointreau, and lime syrup. So normally I would also order the same drink whenever I do my interviews but not this time. He made me take a sip from his and man, it was strong, the kind of drink that you know when you had two, you’re done! Haha! Between sips and pizza, Roro and I talked about what wakes him up in the morning, his favorite cartoon, and what he would tell Justin Bieber.

HOW DID WE MEET?
Rovilson’s version:
‘Cause I was in publishing before and I think we met on a [media] junket, is that right?

My version:  
Brownie points for Roro! YEHEY! We met at a media junket in Singapore, courtesy of the Singapore Tourism Board. Rovilson, RJ Ledesma, Lou Albano, Tim Yap, and I were there to attend a Zoukout event at Sentosa as well as experience the nightlife of the country. It was a very fun junket. We all had our own rooms at the Pan Pacific Singapore, we were treated very well, and it was nice hanging out with everyone in our group. Good times!

 At a Blackberry event that he hosted

 At coach Rio and Coy's wedding. There was a photo booth so I grabbed the best person to take a few shots with.

 At our friend, pro-skateboarder Willy Santos' event at BGC

 Moderating the Q&A with Community's Dani Pudi at the Fox Philippines' office with Marc Nelson. They are both fans of the show so kinilig sila mashado when they met Dani. It was both cute and weird seeing them both so giddy. #FanBoys

 with Roro, Atom Araullo, and  Erwan Heussaff at an Esquire event. I could get used to this <3
 
WHAT MAKES YOU MAD AND HOW DO YOU CALM YOURSELF DOWN?
R: Injustice, bullying, corruption, and mistreating the environment make me mad. Losing also gets me mad. How do I calm myself? I just stay busy. Working out is also a great way for me to calm down, relax, release any tension, and press the reset button. It used to be eating! Oh my God! Good thing I learned how to stop that.
D: I rarely see you mad though.
R: I try not to blow up. 


WHAT FOOD MAKES YOU HAPPY?
R: A good pizza with lots of cheese, straight out of the oven. Good Chinese food and fried chicken. It makes me do the happy dance.

WHAT’S THE BEST THING THAT YOU’VE LEARNED ABOUT YOURSELF BY BEING IN THE BUSINESS THAT YOU’RE IN?
R: Once I gave in to believing in myself, then I became a lot more comfortable, got a lot more confidence. I came to that realization maybe halfway through my career. I thought I was getting a lot of my gigs through luck, although it plays a big part but when I started concentrating on investing in myself then I’m more in-control of my life and my career. 


HOW DO YOU KEEP YOURSELF MOTIVATED TO WAKE UP EVERY MORNING?
R: Somebody else wants my job. Somebody else wants your gigs. Somebody else is out there better than you and younger than you. You just got to hustle because there are ten people out there who are hungrier than you. I have to keep reinventing myself, be different, and just staying above average.


WHERE WOULD YOU LIKELY BE FOUND ON A SATURDAY NIGHT TEN YEARS AGO?
R: I would probably be on my way home from the Friday night coming from somebody else’s house [laughs].
D: How about now?
R: Somebody’s house, and that’s my house! I wouldn’t even leave the house. No but now, my weekends, I’d be out of the country or out of town easily. Last Sunday I was in Malaysia.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CARTOON?
R: The one that I really enjoyed watching was G.I. Joe. That’s why I’m so mad with the G.I. Joe film that they made; it’s a horrible rendition of the cartoon.  So for me, that G.I. Joe movie never happened…twice!

IF YOU WERE A SUPERHERO, WHICH TYPE OF BAD GUY WOULD YOU REPRIMAND FIRST?
R: I would go to the prime minister of China and I would tell him, “You are polluting and destroying our planet! You need to stop and care more about the environment.” I would be Captain Planet!

Cover boy for Men's Health Philippines

WHAT’S THE FIRST THING YOU WOULD TELL JUSTIN BIEBER IF HE SITS BESIDE US RIGHT NOW?
R: I’d thank him for coming to the Philippines, when he visited Tacloban. I’ll tell him, “Hey! Thanks for coming to Tacloban. I know you’ve got a busy schedule. You didn’t have to do it but you brought awareness about something not the whole world knew about. I appreciate you coming to my country. I know you’ve been getting a bad rap lately but if you continue to do these philanthropic activities and show your heart, I think people will love you, man! So keep it up.”


WHY IS ROCKET FUEL YOUR FAVORITE DRINK?
R: Girl! I tell you! It was love at first sip. I love that not everybody loves it ‘cause it’s actually a tough drink but if you learn to appreciate it, it’s like the nectar of the Gods. It is so good. Two of these? You have to be told that you had a good time last night.  

Follow Rovilson on Twitter and Instagram
 

No comments:

Post a Comment