Sunday, August 14, 2016

Drinks with Xander Angeles

Catching up with photographer, restaurateur, and triathlete Xander Angeles over a nourishing smoothie



I started working in the publishing world more than a decade ago (yes, I’m ancient but don’t look like it so suck it! Haha!), and there are just a few whom I’ve worked with from the start of my career and still truly friends with. One of which would be photographer Xander Angeles.



            This friend of mine I have so much respect on because amidst all the talks about him before, he never faltered, fought back with no conviction, and was still able to survive high, humble, and mighty. He’s one of the most respected photographers in the Philippines. He has his own photography company and studio called Edge of Light. He also tried his luck in New York years ago for the experience, but decided to come back to Manila because personally, this is where he truly belongs. He made a total 360 of his life. Once a guy who has vices left and right, he’s now a bonafide health nut! He trains everyday like his life depends on it, and he influenced his entire family to do the same, nandamay pa! Lelz! He was one of the core people who started Run365PH, a growing group of individuals who enjoys running and a healthier lifestyle. He also has a clothing line that he co-owns called Fnshr, and just recently, he successfully finished the hardcore triathlon Ironman 70.3 Asia Pacific Championship held at Cebu. Again, health nut!

            I interviewed him at his restaurant in Tomas Morato avenue called Runner’s Kitchen, which he co-owns with actresses Bianca King, Glaiza de Castro, entertainer Abby Asistio, and a few more people. It’s not the first time that I did Drinks with Denise here since I interviewed actor Alex Medina at this restaurant. Runner’s Kitchen is one of those places that prove that healthy food doesn’t have to be tasteless. I was hungry when I arrived at the restau but did not feel like eating rice, so I asked X earlier on what he suggests that I order. He said to try the Tahini Quinoa Super Bowl with a side order of grilled chicken. It deceived me because at first I thought that it won’t make me full but it sure did, and it was really good! He arrived with Che, his wife, and their kids, Ash and Edge, whom the last time I saw were both just tiny kids but now; they’ve grown to be athletes like their father. X’s favorite drink is called Matipuno, one of the smoothies that they serve at Runner’s Kitchen. It’s a packed drink consisting of banana, peanut butter, cacao nips, and cashew milk. I liked it instantly because I do love the banana and peanut butter combo. Read on as I interviewed Xander about where his favorite to wait for the greatest show on Earth and what he sings inside the car.

HOW DID WE MEET?
Xander’s version:
Oh my God! You were the Editorial Assistant of MTV Ink and PULP Magazine. Shinoot natin ang Asin. Tama ba?

My version:
Well, the part where we actually met, which was during the time that I was still the EA of both PULP and MTV Ink was correct. Our first shoot though was with the band Brownbeat All-Stars. It was actually wasn’t my project. It was passed on to me by the previous EA before me, who left me with almost nothing to work on. Basta, she just said that we had to shoot Brownbeat and that we needed this and that and this. I instantly panicked but by the mercy of God, and the fact that I had to work my ass off double time with the shoot permit, renting of the costumes, and instruments, we were able to pull it off. And our second photo shoot that we’ve worked together was Asin. We shot it in a junk shop with Lolita Carbon and Pendong Aban, Jr. and with three pseudo-false prophets. DJ Cousin Hoagy was one of the people I booked to be an extra in the shoot. 

 This was the first cover shoot that Xander and I worked with together. I was the one who produced it  
and he was my photographer and it's with the legendary group Asin.




One of the big brothers I never had

At our friends Team Manila Jowee Alviar and tattoo artist / entrepreneur Wiji Lacsamana's wedding at La Union

 Shooting but for Instagram post purposes. Hehe!

 Runner's Kitchen's Tahini Quinoa Super Bowl with grilled chicken. Delicious! I will go back there for this. Try it!
 


IF YOUR LIFE IS A PAINTING, WHO DO YOU WANT TO PAINT IT?
X: Iba na kasi ang buhay ko ngayon. Kung yung dating buhay ko si Kiko Escora. Di ba?

D: Bakit si Kiko Escora?

X: Sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll e hahaha! Pero ngayon shempre iba na ang perspective ko, so baka si Ronald Ventura, kasi yung art nya realism with social commentary. Mostly yung art nya naked people, para makita mo ang lahat, statement of truth kumbaga, walang tinatago.


WHAT’S THE BEST GIFT THAT YOU’VE EVER RECEIVED FROM YOUR KIDS?
X: It’s not the material things; it’s them being the most wonderful children. I’m so proud of them. Sila yung mga batang hindi mo ikahihiyang iintroduce kahit kanino kasi they handle themselves really well, kahit kanino mo sila iharap. Ang barkada ko ngayon, barkada din nila.  

WHERE’S THE BEST PLACE TO WATCH THE SUNSET?
X: The greatest show on Earth? Boracay parin. The position, the colors, and I’ve been to so many places but the sunset in Boracay never fails to amaze me. By the time na mag 5pm at nasa White Beach ka, just sit down, have a beer, and enjoy the show. Every time it’s different.


WHAT’S THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AND THE LAST THING YOU THINK OF BEFORE YOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT?
X: My workout.

D: Ang adik mo!

X: Oo hahaha! Kasi every day, we train. So paplanuhin mo the night before yung training mo tapos yun na, gagawin mo na sha pagkagising. It’s constant every day.

D: You are nuts! Kahit weekends? Walang rest day?

X: Wala. Walang rest day pagdating sa workout. Weekends actually ang pinakamahirap na workout. 


WHAT’S THE MEANEST THING THAT SOMEBODY DID TO YOU?
X: When my protégé did not acknowledge me as his mentor.

WHO DO YOU WANT TO SEE EAT AT RUNNER’S KITCHEN?
X: Si Duterte haha! Baka magustuhan nya yung arrozcaldo namin. Kasi narinig ko kumakain sha sa carinderia e, naintriga lang ako what if matikman nya yung healthier version?

WHO IS YOUR HERO AND WHAT’S THE BEST THING THAT YOU’VE LEARNED FROM HIM OR HER?
X: I think it would have to be Jun de Leon. He was the one who told me “if you want to do New York, do it now! Don’t wait.” Binigay nyang example yung sarili nya na nung nag New York sha, he was already established, he was already comfortable so when he went there, hindi nya na kayang magsimula sa simula. So when I consulted him, he was the one who really pushed me to do it.

D: But you were already known here when you started shooting in New York?

X: Yun nga e, pero kapag nagantay pa ako ng mas naging okay pa ako dito, mas magiging komportable ako. Mas mahihirapan ako dun magadjust. Di na ako magsastrive, ayaw mo na maging starving artist kasi tinitreat mo na parang superstar ka na dito e, bakit ka pa maghihirap sa Amerika? Bakit ka pa magtatry magfit-in sa ibang lugar when you’re already established here?


WHAT THREE SONGS DO YOU SING INSIDE THE CAR?
X: “Sweet Disposition” ng The Temper Trap, “Ni**as in Paris” ni Jay-Z at Kanye West, tsaka “Don’t You Worry Child” ng Swedish House Mafia

WHY IS MATIPUNO YOUR FAVORITE DRINK?
X: Because it’s already a complete meal, ito pa lang, busog ka na. Actually, ako ang humiling na i-serve ito dito because for us runners, we need the protein that we would get from banana and peanut butter. It’s also healthy because we use cashew milk, which it obviously non-dairy.    


Follow Xander Angeles on Twitter and Instagram.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment