Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Strokes and How Their Music Defuses all the Annoying Things in My World Right Now

I've been playing my entire collection of The Strokes songs in my iPod here in the office. It's on shuffle so sometimes "You Only Live Once" would play and then another version of the same song would play immediately after. The entire collection have been playing for almost 3 hours straight and it's close to being in its 4th hour, yes, I do have a lot of Strokes songs but I'm sure I'm not the only one.


Yesterday, it was Kylie Minogue and Mariah Carey day here at the office. No we didn't go to work wearing Kylie and Mariah inspired clothes which would be really skimpy for my own sake and for the rest of the people here,  instead I played Kylie and Mariah songs. I downloaded something online that said Kylie Minogue Hits, and true to its name, the songs in the .rar file were all her hits, or at least the songs that I'm familiar with. Too bad "Especially for You" wasn't in it but "Kids" (featuring Robbie Williams) was. I love that song. Kylie day was triggered because me and my Associate Editor France Pinzon weren't able to watch her concert which I heard was one of the gayest things that hit this soil! Shit! I would have loved to be there and watched Kylie straddle Pegasus! Huhuhuhu. I'm still very sad actually but not as sad as when I wasn't able to watch John Legend (that, my friends, is a totally different story but let's just say that I've been melancholic for about a week).


Anyway, after at least 3 rounds of the Kylie hits, I got tired of singing  Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaa, then France asked "wala ka bang Mariah?" HA! It's a trick question obviously! How dare her ask me if I have any Mariah songs in my iPod? THE NERDDD!!! (I know, that it's "the nerve"). So Mariah she wanted, Mariah she got. You guys should have heard us, if banshees were hunted at this day and age, France and I would have been staked already. Complete with the Mumamariah hand gestures, our awful versions of her high pitch punchlines, damn we were amazingly horrendous. Our families would have disowned us if they heard us singing HONEEEYYY, I CAN'T DESCRIBE, HOW GOOD IT FEELS INSIIIDEEEE (honeeeyyyeaahhh). It was fun though.


Wait, this post  was supposed to be about The Strokes, right? So going back to that, this office is not what you can say the most uhhhmmm feasible and sensible place to write. There are just a lot of things going on; a lot of unwanted noise. But for some strange reason though, I can write (or attempt to) even though The Strokes are blasting in my background and it just magically defuses all the annoying little things that I don't want to hear. From time to time though I catch myself making a weird face every time Julian (Casablancas) would croak or reach that weird high note (insert France saying "Julian, ano na? What's happening?"). I also had my "Let me listen to their solo projects" phase. I listened to Julian's Phrazes for the Young (I think France took a liking to "11th Dimension," I caught her humming it a few times), Fab's Little Joy, and Albert's Yours to Keep and Como te Llama. I skipped Nikolai's album, I don't like his singing voice (I'm sorry, Niko...but I just can't) but I keep coming back to The Strokes. Their song "Soma" is now playing and it's almost 6pm, I would love to continue this love story with The Strokes but there's always tomorrow.

I don't know how to write that good but I love listening to The Strokes, Kylie and Mariah.

No comments:

Post a Comment