Saturday, April 18, 2015

Drinks with Sid Lucero

 

While taking sips on his double Jack on the rocks, actor Sid Lucero shares what he thinks is the formula to a good relationship, his cartoon character counterpart, and how he would kill a zombie

Just the thought of a sit down with Timmy Eigenmann a.k.a. Sid Lucero scares me. I don’t know why, really? But a huge chunk of it would probably have something to do with the fact that I watched his movie Norte:Hangganan ng Kasaysayan about a few weeks before this interview happened. He was so good in that movie, that I had a problem differentiating the real Timmy from the reel Timmy. Of course upon seeing him, he was not at all that character he portrayed. Sure, his character in Norte and Timmy are both very articulate but the Timmy who sat in front of me was in a good mood— laughing and smiling a lot. By the way, have you seen this dude laugh? Let me describe it to you. He has that kind of laugh wherein he loses his eyes because they’d turn into slits. His laugh is contagious—boisterous and it seems endless. It’s almost like there’s always an inside joke inside his head and you want in on it. When you visit his Instagram, you would instantly know that he’s addicted to two things: jiu jitsu and his daughter Halo. Recently, he began shooting an indie film called Toto which we shall be waiting for a bit because the release is still unknown. 

            It’s a bit fitting that his drink of choice is a double Jack on the rocks; it suits his personality—strong and intense. I’m not a fan of said drink because I know that whiskey can only be consumed with JUST whiskey (no chaser) but since this is Drinks with Denise, I took one for the team a.k.a. myself. So, let’s go on to the Q&A, shall we?   

How did we meet?

His version

Sid: I don’t remember. Freesbie? I really don’t remember. In a tattoo parlor? Ha ha! I really don’t remember, honestly, but the truth is I really don’t remember a lot from before. How did we meet? Enlighten me.

My version

I first met Timmy at his sister, Max’s son’s party which was held in the South. We did not talk much, just your usual pleasantries hence the absence of recall. I remember being all awkward because his sister Max, who’s a good friend of mine, knew that I kind of find him intimidating so I was just quiet which I rarely am.

At Massi's birthday party

If you would become a cartoon or comic book character, who would you be?

Sid: I want to be Tony Stark, not even Iron Man. Tony Stark. Ha ha! Not just any Tony Stark, dapat the one that Robert Downey Jr. portrayed, kasi astig e. He has all the money and he has all the gadgets. Teka, pwede ring one of the SWAT Kats. Kilala mo yun?

Me: Teka, I’m trying to remember. Hindi ba sha yung isa sa mga cartoons tuwing sabado dati? Sa Channel 9?

Sid: Channel 9 ba yun? Di ko alam. Hanna-Barbera cartoon sha.

Me: Oh why?

Sid: ‘Cause they have a fucking jet in the city, who doesn’t want to own a jet? And they’re cats. Ha ha! And they have this thing that shoots grappling hooks, nets, and smoke bombs so ang angas! Who doesn’t want that? And the jets? They have motorcycles in them.

What’s the cutest thing about your daughter?

Sid: The entire thing. I love her, everything about her. Everything. She’s malambing, she’s brilliant, and she’s very smart. I can have a normal conversation and proper conversation with her, as in, we can understand each other, and she’s only one and a half. She’s amazing. Amazing.

How do you protect your siblings, especially your sisters?

Sid: Before, I used to do it with my fists and then I’d get into trouble so I stopped doing that. And then I realized that some of them would get into trouble on purpose. So, I stopped caring. Ha ha. Ang tatanda na nila e. Ha ha!



If you were not actor, what would you have wanted to do WITH your life?

Sid: That’s funny because I never knew what I wanted to do in my life, in fact I never wanted to become an actor but even knowing that I didn’t want to become an actor didn’t push me to look for something that I’m sure I wanted to do. I was always bouncing from one thing to another like I took a test in random schools then I made it in to Ateneo. I went to Ateneo and I took Philosophy, I took Philosophy because there was no math in our second year. Ha ha! And then after a year, I took a test again in random schools then I got into CSB for Technical Theatre. I did it because it was already closer to what I was already doing which was doing costumes for plays in high school, for at least one play. I thought I’d be good there, but when I got there I got caught up with a lot of things that made me leave school. I called my manager and told him that I was ready, so when I got into acting there was already no room for me to think about what else I wanted to do, maybe a veterinarian if I studied, I don’t know. But honestly, I never thought about it. I wanted to cut hair pa nga e.

Me: Oh! Pwede mo parin naman gawin yun ngayon.

Sid: Oo nga.



In order for you to get through the day, you must have 3 of the following things with you. What would they be?

Sid: Oh! My wallet, my phone, and my gym bag.

Me: Gym bag?

Sid: Yep, because it got everything in it. It has my gi in it. Or wait, it could be my phone, my wallet, or my driver. Ha ha!

What trait of yours do you think people can’t stand?

Sid: I think I come off too strong. I think I come off as a know-it-all. I think when I lose my patience, I lose friends.   

Me: Do you think you’re scary?

Sid: I don’t think I’m scary, but I think I could get scary. I believe that. But I don’t want to be, kaso some people just bring the monster out in me.

Me: Okay pa naman tayo di ba?

Sid: Oo naman!

Me: Tinatakot mo ako!

Sid: Why? Ha ha!



What for you is a formula to a good relationship?

Sid: I wouldn’t know. I don’t have a good relationship.

Me: Guess?

Sid: I don’t know. A formula to a good relationship would probably be communication? Trust? Openness? Contentment? Patience? And more than anything, selflessness—when you’re willing to serve your spouse or partner beyond your own limits. I think that’s it, but it’s not as easy as it seems. It’s not easy as it sounds, at all. Before I thought it was like “Hey! I love you,” “Oh! You love me too?” Peaches and cream. Ha ha! Apparently not.

Would you run from a zombie or would you kill it?

Sid: I’d kill it.

Me: How?

Sid: I’d punch it in the face first. Kung isa lang sha, I’d try to kill it but I’m not going to do it with my bare hands. I’m not going to touch that shit. No way! Pero teka, where am I? What kind of zombie? Is it the kind that runs really fast? If it’s that kind, I’m going to run! Ha ha!

Me: Kunwari nasa hangar ka.

Sid: Like an airplane hangar? If I get a monkey wrench, then I’m fine.

Me: You’ll bash its head open?

Sid: I’d rather not. I’ll hide first, but I’m not going to run though. Or probably set up a base! Or chose a plane, a small one, and run over them with the propellers.  

Me: Kung yung mga zombies parang yung nasa World War Z?

Sid: Ah puta, tatakbo ako. Ha ha! Magkukulong ako sa closet or maybe I’ll just swim. I’ve never heard of a zombie swimmer.

Me: I knew you would choose to kill a zombie.

Sid: Oo! Kill it talaga. Kailan pa ako makakapatay ng zombie? Might as well.



Why is double Jack on the rocks your favorite drink?

Sid: I think it agrees with my system. Anything I take that is the same kind of liquor or alcohol, like to me, if it’s Johnny Walker black? Patay. Anything else? Patay. Jack? I can handle it and I have a good time.

-End-


Follow Sid on Instagram and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment